Friday, March 15, 2013

Playing in Paradise - What is your Favourite?

Hello & happy Friday!

A new Playing in Paradise challenge starts today and this week's challenge is all about favourites!  What could be more fun than using your favourite(s) on a project?  It could be a favourite product, technique, colour.... the possibilities are endless.  If you are stumped, you could even make a project inspired by the colours of your favourite ice cream!  Be sure to tell us what favourites you used in your post.  We hope you will join in and are looking forward to seeing all your wonderful creations!

I have many, many, many favourites, but my top three would have to be making Christmas cards, anything shabby chic and distressed, and colouring stamped images with my distress inks.  My favourite embellishments are lace (or really pretty ribbon), snowflakes, and anything with a really intricate or delicate pattern.  Turquoise or blue for my favourite colours.  Oh, and let's not forget glitter.  Love glitter!  I think I managed to get them all on one card, and this card is now among my favourites! :)


I have put together a mini tutorial explaining how I created this look over on the Playing in Paradise challenge post, so if you enjoy this style, please do pop on over there and check it out.

Supplies:

Image - Stampendous Snow Bird stamped with black Stazon on 300g hot pressed watercolour paper and coloured with Distress inks (tumbled glass, stormy sky, black soot, walnut stain, weathered wood, barn door).  The dimensional snow was created with a snow marker and microfine glitter (dazzling diamonds).  Simply colour in the snowy areas with the marker and sprinkle on glitter while the 'ink' is still wet; the glitter will stick to the ink.  Allow to dry completely and then heat with a heat tool until it puffs up.

Sentiment - Inkadinkado Warm Holiday Wishes (on clearance for a steal!) embossed with white embossing powder

Frame - Hot Off the Press Lacy Frames and Borders Dazzles stickers

Other - the feather, berries, twine, snowflake charm, crochet lace, and fabric are all from my stash.  Paper doily by Bo Bunny, snowflake die is retired Stampin' Up, corner piece is Spellbinders Fantastic Flourish 2 (cut from shrink plastic, heated and painted), metal frame is from Stampin' Up, pearls, flower stamens from Wilton.  Picket fence stain, crackle paint and gesso.  DP is from Bo Bunny Midnight Frost collection (my favourite winter collection ever!).

If you are looking for more inspiration, you won't want to miss the projects the talented team has created!  Head on over to the Playing in Paradise challenge to check them out.  Then join in and have some fun creating something with your favourite(s)!

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment.  I love reading them and having the chance to visit you too. 

Hugs,

Dawn

22 comments:

Sue said...

WOW!!! This is stunning Dawn. I love that image. Your colouring is fabulous and the detailing you have added is so beautiful.
Sue

Beate said...

I love the color blue on your birdie! The coloring as a whole on your image is perfect!
hugs
Bea

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous card Dawn, I love the bird image and fabulous colouring, love the details on the branch and card....so pretty..

Luv CHRISSYxx

marion said...

Owww love this one, what a fab stamp and such lovely sweet pastel colour, love it ! Have a lovely weekend, hugs, Marion

Cindy C. said...

Wonderful card! Loved reading about your approach and process. It turned so perfectly shabby chic! Thank for sharing.

fairyrocks said...

Spectacular card Dawn, thank you for providing a tutorial. This would be terrific with any sentiment. Thank you for another fun challenge.

Notes by Nina said...

Your card is so beautiful Dawn, I love the soft colours and all these details are fantastic. The bird is adorable.

Linda Pekrul said...

A huge WOW! Love, love, love!!! You have me thinking I absolutely need that stamp. LOL. The corners you made out of shrink plastic are fabulous too. I've never tried that product but you've got the wheels turning in my head!

Helen said...

It is GORGEOUS, Dawn! Love the stamp image and the ice on the branch and berries. I'll take this card for next Christmas. lol

Unknown said...

This is a such a beautiful card Dawn! I love all the little details!

Inkypinkydelights said...

Oh Dawn this is beautiful! I love this! Just love everything about it! Thank you for your kind words on my Blog today too. Have a happy weekend, Judy x

downrightcrafty said...

simply stunning Dawn love the image beautifully coloured and gorgeous presentation of it
Hugs Kate xx

Debbie said...

This is such a beautiful card Dawn. I love this gorgeous image and the colours are so pretty.
Hugs Debbie x

Donna Ellis said...

Ohhh, Dawn, I am smitten. This is so beautiful. Soft. Beautiful. Peaceful. Beautiful. Darling. Beautiful. Did I mention that it is beautiful? So gorgeous - I LOVE this card! Sweet as can be, too. I'm headed over to the challenge blog to see how you made it. hugs, de

Donna Ellis said...

OKAY, I am back - to say thank you for all the tips in your tutorial over on the challenge blog - I learned a lot - thank you, Dawn~! hugz and some more, de

walchowDesign said...

Gorgeous shabby card, Dawn! Love all the laces and the softness of the blues! Beautifully executed!

Heather said...

A beautiful card Dawn, a fabulous design and I love the soft subtle colours and gorgeous image, stunningly coloured.


hugs
Heather xx

Jessi Fogan said...

I love every single beautiful thing about this card! Those sweet fluffy feathers...there's just so much texture! Love it :)

Christina - Pieces of Dreams said...

Beautiful little bluebird of happiness. Your colouring and design is superb.
Hugs
Chris xxx

Grenouille Greetings said...

This is so pretty, Dawn. Softly coloured to perfection and delightfully elegant. Hugs, Lesley

Inkypinkydelights said...

Oh Dawn this is beautiful. I just love the soft appearance. The birdies look so real! Judy x

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

So pretty, the bird image is gorgeous and the frosty colours look fab
Lindsay xx